Amos 5 - Tells end time believers to establish justice at our gates

I was reading along in scripture when I read Amos 5:15 whenever scripture says “Remnant of Jacob” I know many were resurrected during the resurrection of Matthew 28 yes, and I know many are yet to be resurrected as part of the greater harvest. So whenever I see “remnant of Jacob” I think of the believers in the End Times, and this whole chapter of Amos 5 speaks to me as talking about the end time period known as “Jacobs Troubles” or “Great tribulation” or “the Day of YHWH” which we see in our texts by many variations such as “great and terrible day” or “a day of dark gloominess” etc…

It’s referring to the tribulation period known as the Day of YHWH.

Amos 5

King James Version

5 Hear ye this word which I take up against you, even a lamentation, O house of Israel.

2 The virgin of Israel is fallen; she shall no more rise: she is forsaken upon her land; there is none to raise her up.

3 For thus saith the Lord God; The city that went out by a thousand shall leave an hundred, and that which went forth by an hundred shall leave ten, to the house of Israel.

4 For thus saith the Lord unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live:

5 But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to nought.

Verse 6 scares me - because the metaphor identifies our resulting level of judgement to be measured and if found wanting he’s going to break out like a fire in the house of Joseph. We are all part of the house of Joseph because we are bound by our marriage covenant with Yeshua.

6 Seek the Lord, and ye shall live; lest he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, and devour it, and there be none to quench it in Bethel.

7 Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth,

Interesting call out to the fact that YHWH made the seven stars and Orion

8 Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The Lord is his name:

9 That strengtheneth the spoiled against the strong, so that the spoiled shall come against the fortress.

This word “gate” doesn’t seem to indicate our own homes. This word could also be translated as “court” or a city court/square. Brings to mind preachers in NYC square.

10 They hate him that rebuketh in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly.

11 Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them.

12 For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right.

13 Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.

14 Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the Lord, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken.

Here at verse 15 we see that we are to hate evil, love God, and establish judgement in our courts/city-squares/Camp.

15 Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.

16 Therefore the Lord, the God of hosts, the Lord, saith thus; Wailing shall be in all streets; and they shall say in all the highways, Alas! alas! and they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skilful of lamentation to wailing.

17 And in all vineyards shall be wailing: for I will pass through thee, saith the Lord.

Here’s a warning against those who desire the day of YHWH. Verses 19, 20, 21 says that it’s a day of Darkness - which is in the Hebrew concept of day “Darkness then light”.

18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord! to what end is it for you? the day of the Lord is darkness, and not light.

19 As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.

Here again it’s stressed that the day of YHWH will be darkness and not light without any brightness during this dark period.

He says (v20-24) that he hates our feast days, and will not smell in our assemblies, even though we offer burnt offerings and meat offerings, he will also disregard the peace offerings. He will ignore the noise of our songs and instead let judgement rain down on us, why? Why is YHWH going to allow all these things?

20 Shall not the day of the Lord be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?

21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies.

22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts.

23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols.

24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.

25 Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel?

Because of verse 26 - 27 that says why YHWH is so mad at us during that tribulation period:

1. because we bore the tabernacle of Moloch

2. Chiun our images.

26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.

27 Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the Lord, whose name is The God of hosts.

1 Like

This has many parts so I am not sure how to reply and highlight each part but this is my attempt:

Blockquote

Redeemed_House
1d
I was reading along in scripture when I read Amos 5:15 whenever scripture says “Remnant of Jacob” I know many were resurrected during the resurrection of Matthew 28 yes, and I know many are yet to be resurrected as part of the greater harvest. So whenever I see “remnant of Jacob” I think of the believers in the End Times, and this whole chapter of Amos 5 speaks to me as talking about the end time period known as “Jacobs Troubles” or “Great tribulation” or “the Day of YHWH” which we see in our texts by many variations such as “great and terrible day” or “a day of dark gloominess” etc…

It’s referring to the tribulation period known as the Day of YHWH.

I agree. It seems that the END TIMES believers are the REMNANT.

Blockquote

Amos 5 CJB
Hear this word that I take up against you
in lament, house of Isra’el:

2 The virgin of Isra’el has fallen;
she will not rise again.
She lies abandoned on her own soil
with no one to lift her up.

3 For thus says Adonai Elohim:
“The city from which a thousand marched
will be left with a hundred,
and the one from which a hundred marched
will be left with ten
from the house of Isra’el.” ( I think this shows that only 10% are found among the righteous)

4 For here is what Adonai says
to the house of Isra’el:
“If you seek me, you will survive;
5 but don’t seek Beit-El, or enter Gilgal
or pass on into Be’er-Sheva;
for Gilgal will certainly go into exile,
and Beit-El will come to nothing.”
Why do you think Beit-El and Gigal are spoken about like this? Why can they not pass to Ber’er Sheva?
Where Jacob had his dream, where Israelites first when when coming into the promised land, and the well of oaths …

Verse 6 scares me - because the metaphor identifies our resulting level of judgement to be measured and if found wanting he’s going to break out like a fire in the house of Joseph. We are all part of the house of Joseph because we are bound by our marriage covenant with Yeshua.

If you seek Adonai, you will survive.
Otherwise, he will break out against
the house of Yosef like fire,
devouring Beit-El,
with no one to quench the flames.

7 You who turn justice to bitter wormwood
and throw righteousness to the ground!
8 He who made the Pleiades and Orion,
who brings deathlike shadows over the morning,
who darkens the day into night,
who calls for the water in the sea
and with it floods the earth —
Adonai is his name —
9 he flashes destruction on the strong,
so that destruction overcomes the fortress.

10 They hate anyone promoting justice
at the city gate,
they detest anyone who speaks the truth.
11 Therefore, because you trample on the poor
and extort from them levies of grain;
although you have built houses of cut stone,
you will not live in them;
and though you have planted pleasant vineyards,
you will not drink their wine.

12 For I know how numerous are your crimes
and how outrageous your sins —
bullying the innocent, extorting ransoms
pushing the poor aside at the gate.
13 At times like these a prudent person stays silent,
for it is an evil time.

14 Seek good and not evil, so that you will survive.
Then Adonai Elohei-Tzva’ot will be with you,
as you say he is.
15 Hate evil, love good, and uphold justice at the gate.
Maybe Adonai Elohei-Tzva’ot
will take pity on the survivors of Yosef.

16 Therefore thus says Adonai Elohei-Tzva’ot, Adonai:

“In all public squares there will be lamentation,
in all the streets they will cry, ‘Oh, no!’
They will summon farmers to mourn
and professional mourners to wail.
17 There will be wailing in every vineyard,
for I will pass through among you,” says Adonai.

18 Woe to you who want the Day of Adonai!
Why do you want it, this Day of Adonai?
It is darkness, not light;
19 as if someone were to run from a lion,
just to be met by a bear;
as if he entered a house, put his hand on the wall,
just to be bitten by a snake.

Here at verse 15 we see that we are to hate evil, love God, and establish judgement in our courts/city-squares/Camp.

Here again it’s stressed that the day of YHWH will be darkness and not light without any brightness during this dark period.

He says (v20-24) that he hates our feast days, and will not smell in our assemblies, even though we offer burnt offerings and meat offerings, he will also disregard the peace offerings. He will ignore the noise of our songs and instead let judgement rain down on us, why? Why is YHWH going to allow all these things?
20 Won’t the Day of Adonai be darkness, not light,
completely dark, with no brightness at all?
21 “I hate, I utterly loathe your festivals;
I take no pleasure in your solemn assemblies.
22 If you offer me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them;
nor will I consider the peace offerings
of your stall-fed cattle.
23 Spare me the noise of your songs!
I don’t want to hear the strumming of your lutes!
24 Instead, let justice well up like water,
and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.
25 Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings
in the desert forty years, house of Isra’el?

Because of verse 26 - 27 that says why YHWH is so mad at us during that tribulation period: because we bore the tabernacle of Moloch Chiun our images.

No, but now you will bear Sikkut as your king
and Kiyun, your images,
the star of your god, which you made for yourselves;
27 as I exile you beyond Dammesek,”
says Adonai Elohei-Tzva’ot —
that is his name.

I don’t know if this is what you are finding and wanting people to comment about but:
In my opinion at the END TIMES the people who are blood lineage Jewish do not have an absolute to end times salvation and acceptance into His Kingdom. They have become a force NOT through the love and devotion to Yahweh, but rather by their own means. The Aaronic priesthood is long gone by and what remains today is not in the image of Yahweh but rather exists because they have made concessions and made deals that grants them their position, but only as far as they are willing to engage in these concessions. To me this makes great sense because the Jews left their proper authority and barter it away through negotiations with Greece and Rome and the USA etc. They no longer search for a relationship with Yahweh, but rather succumb to the lusts for authority established via other governments. it tells us that they practiced and pursued favor with Molech.
Brown-Driver-Briggs
כִּיּוּן proper name, of deity Amos 5:26, probably = Assyrian kaivânu, planet Saturn (Arabic and Persian Syriac ), regarded as god; original pronunciation כֵּיוָן SchrCOT on the passage, compare Köii. 151 (pointing כִּיּוּן intended to suggest √ כון as something established, firm); kaimânu = kaiânu, according to JenCosm. iii. 502 who derives from כון (compare Thes; so ZimBP 17); > HptZA ii. 266, 281 f. reads כַּיָּוָן (for כְּאָמָן), reading the Babylonian name Ka°âmânu; see also M-AJBL 1892, xi. 86 n. 39.*

The REAL TRUE WORSHIPPERS OF YAHWEH will distance themselves from these types of people who claim to be under Yahweh’s authority. Whether they be self proclaimed Jews or self proclaimed Christians they are both self proclaimed. But Yeshua tells us something different about who is a part of Him and who bears His name:
Hebrew 2: In subjecting everything to him, he left nothing unsubjected to him. However, at present, we don’t see everything subjected to him — at least, not yet. 9 But we do see Yeshua — who indeed was made for a little while lower than the angels — now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by God’s grace he might taste death for all humanity. 10 For in bringing many sons to glory, it was only fitting that God, the Creator and Preserver of everything, should bring the Initiator of their deliverance to the goal through sufferings. 11 For both Yeshua, who sets people apart for God, and the ones being set apart have a common origin — this is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers 12 when he says,

“I will proclaim your name to my brothers;
in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.”

13 Also, “I will put my trust in him, . . .” and then it goes on, “Here I am, along with the children God has given me.”

14 Therefore, since the children share a common physical nature as human beings, he became like them and shared that same human nature; so that by his death he might render ineffective the one who had power over death (that is, the Adversary) 15 and thus set free those who had been in bondage all their lives because of their fear of death.

16 Indeed, it is obvious that he does not take hold of angels to help them; on the contrary, “He takes hold of the seed of Avraham.”

17 This is why he had to become like his brothers in every respect — so that he might become a merciful and faithful cohen gadol in the service of God, making a kapparah for the sins of the people. 18 For since he himself suffered death when he was put to the test, he is able to help those who are being tested now.

This therefore should be a WARNING TO EVERYONE to follow Yeshua, because it is to Him we are called and by Him we are judged. When we refuse Yeshua, we have no pathway to salvation.