An arguement against Enoch and Jubilees - You can't pick and chose

If you are going to advocate and promote the book of Jubilees and Enoch as authoritative scripture, then you need to advocate for everything contained in these books and not just cherry pick the sections that appeal to your bias.
Jubilees 30:7 says to put women to death by burning them and stone their fathers if the woman marries a foreigner. (This is an outrageous racist law which is contrary to Torah)

Jubilees also tries to add several additional commandments concerning the sabbath which are not found in Torah thus breaking the law of not adding to or taking away from the commandments. (Duet 4:2, 12:32)

Jubilees also has fantastical tales about wars which never happened and promotes that the early patriarchs celebrated the annual feasts long before they were even known of by the Israelites during the Exodus.

There really is no end to the amount of doctrinal and historical inaccuracies I find with this book.

The Book of Enoch says that Enoch himself is the promised Messiah. (1 Enoch 37-71), Enoch is taken into heaven and shown prophetic visions concerning an eschatological hero known as the “Son of Man.” This figure is also called the “Chosen One,” “Anointed,” and “Righteous One,” which are all titles referring to the same Messianic figure in the narrative. The author of this section of 1 Enoch clearly draws upon Messianic prophecies from Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, etc., to develop this figure. At the end of this prophetic journey, the mystery of who the messiah is, is finally revealed.

Enoch 71:13-14 "And the Head of Days came with Michael and Raphael and Gabriel and Phanuel, and thousands and tens of thousands of angels without number. And he came to me and greeted me with his voice and said to me, “You are that Son of Man who was born for righteousness, and righteousness dwells on you, and the righteousness of the Head of Days will not forsake you.”
All genuine historians and scholarly journals published attribute the Dead Sea Scrolls to being written within the timeframe of 200 BCE to 70 CE. The scroll of Jubilees was dated to be authored around 150 BCE, and the 3rd section of Enoch called “The Book of Luminaries” is believed by archeologists and linguists to be authored around 100 BCE. Jubilees 4:17-25 says that Enoch “saw in a vision what has happened and what will occur”; the book of Jubilees contains many points of information otherwise found in the “Animal Apocalypse” such as Enoch’s wife being Edna. The Animal Apocalypse claims to predict the Maccabean Revolt (which occurred 167-160 BC) and is commonly dated to that time. The consensus since 2008 has been that the Animal Apocalypse came first, and the book of Luminaires & Jubilees after.
Most of the Dead Sea Scrolls were written by sectarians known as Essenes who wanted to add an addition two illegitimate familes to the priesthood.
The document called “The War Scroll” column 2, line 2 indicates that 26 priestly courses were to be conducted in a 52-week year, and this would cause each course to serve 2 weeks at the temple. The easy breakdown of this is 26 x 2 = 52 weeks. 52 x 7 = 364 days. This is one reason the DSS calendars have 364-day years. More information about the Twenty-Six Priestly Courses can be found in the journal article published by Brill & Paul Winter 1956), pp. 215-217

The Bible only has 24 priestly courses, not 26. Even in the first century, the historian Josephus claims that there were only 24 priestly courses in Antiq. book 7, Chapter 14, Verse 7, which remained even unto his days. This calendar shows the 364 days revolving around the idea that the community at Qumran wanted to add an additional two courses to the priesthood. The claims that this 364-day calendar was in use prior to Babylonian captivity become erroneous when we see the chief of the priests; the heads of those 24 courses which David appointed in 1 Chronicles 24, returning to Jerusalem in Nehemiah chapter 12. This tells me the 364-day calendar was something which was probably created some time in the intertestamental period, especially since we see the post Babylonian exiles and priests returning to Jerusalem using transliterated Babylonian Hebrew month names for their calendar.
For more information you can read my book called “Expository Documentary of the Dead Sea Scroll Calendars & Interview by Shane Nelson”

2 Likes